Cleveland Brothers Equipment Co., Inc. began in 1937 when Bob and Roy Cleveland started a landscaping contracting company. The company grew and evolved through the years working on numerous high profile jobs. In search of new opportunities, Bob and Roy took over the Caterpillar dealership in Central Pennsylvania.
On January 1, 1948, Cleveland Brothers was formed. In 1965, Roy stayed at Cleveland Brothers while Bob moved to New York to pursue other dealer opportunities. Bob and Roy’s father, C.W. “Dad” Cleveland, was hired as purchasing agent for the company. Roy’s son, Jay, began working at his father’s company in 1961. In 1963, Bill Kirchhoff married Jean Cleveland, Roy’s Daughter.
Jay Cleveland, Jr. joined the company in 1988 and currently serves as President/Chief Executive Officer. Tom Kirchhoff joined in 1994 as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer until his passing in March 2015. With each new generation, Cleveland Brothers remains a family-oriented business. Meeting customer needs has always been Cleveland Brothers’ focal point.
On October 10, 2005, Cleveland Brothers acquired Beckwith Machinery Company. In addition, Cleveland Brothers also acquired One Call Rentals, a network of Cat Rental Stores in Western Pennsylvania and Northern West Virginia. One Call Rentals handles Caterpillar compact construction equipment and allied equipment such as air compressors and aerial lifts.
The transition allowed the Cleveland Brothers family of companies to serve 59 Pennsylvania counties in an area stretching from the Northeast corner of PA throughout all of Central and Western PA. Included in this new territory are 17 counties in Northern West Virginia and 2 in Western Maryland.
Every company action and decision is evaluated in terms of the impact on customers. From the very beginning, Cleveland Brothers understood to be successful, its customers must succeed. This philosophy has guided the company for over seventy years and placing customers first will remain our continued focus.